Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Friday, July 11

Please don't take my Pencil away!

My Illustration class at Maine College of Art is almost over -- just 1 week left -- which makes me sad BTW - but looking forward to taking more classes. It's been a good rut-buster and I've learned lots of interesting ways to try new things, bust out and go in a new direction. While a lot of these aren't that great, I wanted to share and encourage you to take classes. If you are an artist, writer -- or whatever it is that you do -- taking classes to promote learning is great for growth as well as knowledge. Plus, it's plain old fun.

Last week the classroom assignment was to paint bones -- but we couldn't use a pencil or makes lines of any kind. I chose watercolor crayons and this was my scribble pallet. I scribbled the color on paper and added water -- then I had nice little spots of  color. At the end of class I closed up my drawing pad "palette" and left for the day.


Yesterday I decided to use my pen and a paintbrush to make something of the color blobs. It was fun. I see 2 dogs, a horse, a snail, lots of flowers, a face, an upside down heart, turtle, a mitton, oyster and snake head. Do you see anything?

My on-going struggle in this class is saying good-bye to my pencil. Using a pencil is not allowed and I rely heavily on it. I'm getting there, this one and the other flowers following was pencil-free. Are they great?? No, but a gal has got to start somewhere!

 
 

 
In this assignment we had to draw a mish-mash of items and create a little scene. It was fun, but again, not using a pencil kills me. Below is a homework -- draw 50 things around your house. It was fun, look Ma -- no pencil.

Another free drawing image from class, I find I'm always adding text to my drawings -- or in this case pen and ink sketch. Yup, no pencil.
 Above and below are the bone drawings. The one above is a goat skull but it started looking like a dog taking a nap so I went with it. Below is a vertebrae, not sure what animal -- but it looks like a cow head the way I'm holding it in my hand. I like the thought of holding a mini-cow in my hands so added them as well. This is one of my favorite painting from the class -- and YES YES YES I know you are wondering -- NO PENCIL.

This next assignment was fun. We had weird comic sketches that we needed to use as inspiration pieces and come up with something using a limited palette. My sketch was of two weird animals walking on the earth with three trees, three clouds, and bubbles for their conversation. This is what I came up with, my second favorite from the class.

Yesterday we had more fun inspiration pieces and this time we had to design a product advertisement or packaging for a fun product. My phone kind of makes fun of how we are so addicted to our phones, going to a therapist or counselor and also coffee. You can replace that with an app for your phone that will give you a 220 jolt of energy. That was a LOT of fun -- and yup -- I giggled a lot as I came up with the text.

So, that's it for my illustration class for today. THANKS for stopping by and have a WONDERFUL day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.