Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Tuesday, September 21

Let there be LIGHT!

I wanted to start my post out today talking about light - and as an artist how important it is to have good light when photograhing projects, step-outs and just working in the studio on a day to day basis. I have struggled with good lighting since moving into this space in 2007.

This is what my studio looked like around 10 in the morning with no lights on. Dark. The light fixture I have on the studio casts an ok amount of light - but creates a LOT of shadows making the photography of step-outs REALLY frustrating. It didn't matter how I adjusted my lights - I got shadows - and had a yellow tinge on everything to the point that all the photos needed adjustment in Photoshop. In a word, FRUSTRATING!

After spending hours researching lighting, talking to people and looking at Home Depot, Lowe's and other places - I decided to try some photo studio lights made by Smith Vector that I got from Adorama, LOVE them. I got them about 3 days after I ordered them, and exactly as ordered. You should order from Adorama for your photography and lighting needs, they rock.

OH MY - insert Angels singing Alleluia! It was like working in the dark with my eyes closed to moving my studio outside to the middle of the lawn at noon on the brightest day of the summer. Here you can see a REALLY bright photo - right out of my POS camera. It's a little bright, but I kinda did that on purpose for the effect of it.

Here's my worktable, can you say WOW??

Pointing them up at the ceiling works best to brighten the entire room. If you look closely at this photo you can see a couple of works of art - one from my friend Nat at Scrapbook-Trends and a little art quilt from my friend Kelley.

There will be no SAD in this studio this winter, I guarentee it!

While I was away creating up a beeswax storm over the weekend - my husband was working up a shelving storm at home. He got my shelves installed - oh my heavens - things are finally coming together!! The light at the end of the tunnel is LITERALLY blinding me, LOL. I can't wait for the 15" of beadboard paneling that will go over the countertop and then a narrow shelf for jars of doodads on top of that. THANKS dude, you totally rock! LoVe you!

I thought I'd end this post with a couple of my favorite pictures from over the weekend at Artascope with Claudine, Karen, Kelley, Rosie and our new friend Danene. Rosie is the bulldog and Karen belongs to her, he he he. Really though, Rosie was the center of attention in our studio room on Sunday - lots of people dropped by to visit and say hello to Rosie...she got lots of tummy rubs and gave a few kisses here and there. Though, I think she was more interested in the treats that were downstairs.

This was on the ride Sunday morning, Rosie decided that I was snuggle worthy and rested her head on my shoulder from the backseat. She really is an adorable little dog!

Thanks for stopping by -- and I hope you have a beautiful, very creative day! If you want to make it really creative, hop on over to Today's Creative Blog for Get Your Craft on Tuesday...there's some pretty cool things going on over there!

4 comments:

  1. Your studio looks amazing!! Love all the great light. What a super fun class you had. I saw your piece on Claudine's blog. LOVE IT! Claudine is such a wonderful instructor, so I can only imagine how much fun you must have had, especially with Miss Rosie, the little bullie mascot!! She and my Beula Belle would have a fun time together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being a great Adorama Customer, Catherine!

    Glad to hear you are enjoying the new Smith Vector studio lights, but if you ever need any advice or after-sales support, please don't hesitate to drop me an email: HelenO@adorama.com

    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

    NB please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period.

    Adorama NYC Retail Store schedule for Sukkot:
    We will close Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 2:30pm and will reopen on Sunday October 3 at 9:30 am

    Adorama phone-sales department schedule:
    Weds Sep 22 9:00 - 3:00
    Tues Sep 28 9:00 - 5:00
    Weds Sep 29 9:00 - 3:00

    Thank you for your understanding and your business

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your studio and the lighting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.