Find my stamps at Art Gone Wild!

Find my stamps at Art Gone Wild!
You can now purchase all of my stamps directly from Art Gone Wild! Click on the image to see what's new!

Tuesday, May 8

Portland Museum of Art

As a full-time artist it's important to renew and refresh -- things I don't do very often. I tend to work all day -- stop when the kidlet gets home from school -- then work in the evening after he goes to bed. There are plenty of breaks in there mixed with cooking, cleaning. laundry and errands -- but for the most part I work a lot. How can I not when I love it so much. 

I told the kidlet yesterday that I discovered I was born to make art when I was in high school. That's all I wanted to do. then....and now. I skipped classes to go to the art department. I immersed myself in art. When I was REALLY little I remember telling my Mother that my dream was to grow up and be an artist, I think I was 4 maybe 5 at the time.

Fast forward over 25 years and yes -- I am still making art. Friday night we went to see the movie The Raven -- about Edgar Allen Poe -- which reminded me of my first etching I did -- yup -- way back in high school. It was inspired by that poem. I need to see if my Mother still has the plate at her house. 

Anyway, one of my favorite artists is Edgar Degas. I love his style, use of color and design -- so when my husband wanted to go see the exhibit at the PMA I was definitely not going to say no.


The Degas exhibit was less about the work that I am inspired by and more about his sketches, friends and etchings. Definitely interesting and I did take the time to read all the little pieces of information the museum shared. He was a very talented artist that knew from a very early age that he wanted to be an artist when he grew up. hey, kinda like me, but i'm no degas -- yet ;-)

It was the rest of the museum that I was inspired by. I forgot to document who the artist are for all of these paintings, but I do love them.

Like this painting. 

the color and shapes really makes me happy and I see something different every time I look at it.

and this one -- it's very satisfying to me. 

And the flowers on this painting -- love the contrast of the lady holding the daisy against the dark background and the beautiful lazy-daisy look on the bottom of this painting. 

and this guy, whom I nick named Mr. Crabby Pants. Everything about this one makes me smile, it's fun and playful. 
I left the museum with a refreshed sense of creativity, determination and purpose -- add to that delicious Thai food for lunch, a visit to a new art store with very pleasant help, a cupcake -- and a wonderful date afternoon with my hubby -- and I am really re-charged and ready to take on the world.

Just not the kitchen ;-) 
Hope you have a wonderful day -- thanks for stopping by! 

2 comments:

  1. wonderful and true post!!! Lovely inspiring pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do this sort of thing all the time before i had kids. I always felt so inspired ;0) I must add regularly checking art galleries/museums to my schedule for inspiration..thanks for the reminder, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.