Find my stamps at Art Gone Wild!

Find my stamps at Art Gone Wild!
You can now purchase all of my stamps directly from Art Gone Wild! Click on the image to see what's new!

Friday, February 3

Happy February!

While I was in Los Angeles last week I made a little detour over to Disney to the Lego Store to pick up a few things for my sweet boy. He is a huge fan of all things Lego. While I was there I saw this FUN Ice Cube Tray, since Valentine's Day is right around the corner thought it would be the perfect thing to surprise him with. 


I can't really keep surprises under wraps well. Today I decided to do a test run to see how the molds would work with chocolate. Since I was only going to make one batch I didn't use a lot of chocolate. 


I started by melting some Wilton Chocolate melts in a Pyrex Cup over water. You would think I would have a double boiler since I make a lot of chocolates, but no. If you have never tried candy making -- it's SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT not to let ANY water contaminate the chocolate. If this happens the chocolate gets a strange texture and you can't really do anything with it. It doesn't change the flavor, but putting it into a mold is darn near impossible.


Make sure all the wafers MELT completely! 


Gently spoon chocolate into each mold. Don't worry if you get some overage - it's going to happen unless you use a pastry bag. That's WAY to much work for me, plus I don't own one. And I was in a hurry. I was supposed to making a sketch for a new class NOT making candy. 


Fill ALL the spaces in the mold. Now - the next step is as important as keeping water away from the chocolate when it melts. Right now there are a TON of little air bubbles in the chocolate -- and pockets where the chocolate didn't get when you spooned it in.

Pick up the mold and gently tap it on the counter 5 or 8 or 12 times. Whatever amount makes you happy. This will remove the bubbles and force the melted chocolate down into the details of the mold. When I say gently -- I mean if you slam it down on the counter too hard the chocolate will splatter and make a mess. But then again, you may want to lick the chocolate off the counter.  

It's helpful if you have a supervisor, to keep an eye on those little details. 


Use a spatula to scrape the excess chocolate away. You may need to do some more tapping to smooth out the surface of the chocolate, I know I did. Then all you have to do is let the chocolate set up for a while and those guys will be ready to take out! 


Aren't they adorable. 
Ooops, one guy lost his head when I took him out of the mold. I had to eat him, LOL 
I know my sweet boy loved them and wants me to make them for his buddies for Valentine's Day. Maybe. Maybe not. Thanks for stopping by, remember -- cooking can be creative if you don't have any time for the studio! Have a great weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. This is the perfect post for a smile and a "thin waist line" Cat. LOVE THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.