Find my stamps at Art Gone Wild!

Find my stamps at Art Gone Wild!
You can now purchase all of my stamps directly from Art Gone Wild! Click on the image to see what's new!

Thursday, May 8

Throwback Thursday: Mother's Day Quilt Art Tutorial

Good Morning, since Mother's Day is this weekend I thought I'd share a super easy, and relatively quick project you could make for a cherished Mother in your life. This is a project I created for Sizzix last year, but that Hexagon Die never gets enough use so I thought you'd like to see it again!

The overall size is 11 x 14, including the frame.

 

I created a base quilt from a piece of black cardstock and arranged the hex's in a random pattern on top to cover it completely. I used a re-positionable adhesive to attach them -- that would allow me to move them around easily if I got stuck with two of the same pattern side by side when I was laying them out.

To make sure the Hexagons stayed in place I used my sewing machine with a straight stitch to sew each one to the base. When I had that done, I decided it needed a pretty floral image.

 

To create that image I used the Mini-Tickets Die with the Base tray to cut the larger tag from cream card stock. So I could mat it on a piece of coordinating patterned paper I trimmed about 1/16" from each side and used a tiny circle punch to trim the corners so it would mat nicely on the original sized ticket. When I was certain it would fit on the Mini-Ticket cut from patterned paper I stamped a pretty flower on it from the Flourishes the "Year of Flowers" with Black StazOn Ink.

I used a small watercolor palette and a tiny brush to paint the image to coordinate with the papers of my quilt.

To complete the focal point image I attached the image to the patterned paper Mini-Ticket with Foam Tape. To help it stand out from the paper quilt I used the ATC Die to cut a piece of black cardstock to mat the pretty image on. With a piece of pink ribbon sandwiched in between it is the PERFECT embellishment for my paper quilt!

 


To finish the design I stitched the paper quilt to a piece of the pink patterned paper from the Lily Bee Designs Paper Pack layered on top of black cardstock.

It looks AMAZING in an inexpensive 11 x 14 white frame from Target!



  


I'm going to feel nice and cozy all summer every time I see my beautiful paper quilt! I love it and it only took an evening to put together! This would make a beautiful baby shower -- bridal shower or gift for any occasion!

Thanks for stopping by, hope you like my fast and easy paper quilt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.